Saturday, March 5, 2016
The castle was started in the late 12th Century bu the O Rourke clan, it was taken over and finished by the O Reillys in the 1200's and used as a fortification in their ongoing fighting with the O Rourkes.
During the 1641 Rebellion it was seized and held by the Philip O Reilly leader Irish rebels and as a prison, then later as a fortified stronghold. For 12 years it was held by the rebels and was the last place to fall to the British, when shelled by Cromwells forces.
Posted by Paz at 10:18 AM