Saturday, September 25, 2010
This is on the grounds of a monastery built in the 1200's, the High Cross is not the original but a replica.
A road now runs trough the remains of this monastery so the round tower is on the other side of the road. One of the beliefs that some historians held was that round towers like these were used as shelter from attacks from the Viking raiders, but more likely a safe place to keep the valuables rather than people as they would not have survived a long attack without food and water.
All thats left of the Romanesque church, with a modern day Viking checking it out, though no plundering was done. As can be seen the road was built right at the front door.
A close up of the front door carvings.
Posted by Paz at 9:49 PM